04.12.09

Peeps Show III

Posted in Main at 8:04 am by carrie

Dioramas made out of Peeps! You can see the whole story here on the Washington Post’s website.

Here are just some of the entries… they are all so amazing…

Completely unaware of Peeps Shows 1 or 2, I’m pretty sure I must compete next year… Peeps are awesome… especially as retaliatory devices. Happy Easter :)

1. Mom said,

April 12, 2009 at 11:01 am

I LOVE THESE PEEP SHOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Cyndi said,

April 12, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Hi, Carrie,
    Do you remember me? We’ve emailed back and forth a few times last fall, when I had just purchased a retail and floral shop in Sparks, Nevada. Just thought I’d give you an update with the business.
    Needless to say, the economy has not been very helpful these past six months. Christmas sales were very low, and the winter was just dead. Nobody spending money. I lost the two anchor stores here in the mall, making for no foot traffic.
    Valentine flower orders were off 50% from last year. But, since March 1, flower orders are up, and we had a very successful Easter weekend. Gives me hope for Mother’s Day! And, wedding season is upon us; we have several weddings each weekend through the fall (we specialize in wedding flowers).
    I met with my landlords last week. I am six months behind in the rent! They are very supportive of my business and are bending over backwards to help me. The late rent is being forgiven (can you believe that!?!), and for the next two months, I just pay CAM fees. Starting in July, I’ll pay CAM fees and “a little extra” (to be determined) for the next year. They are doing everything to help me stay in business, and I’m so thankful.
    Although this is not what I expected when I bought a retail store (I thought it was going to be so much “fun”!), it has definitely made me a much stronger person. I have to be very careful with what I buy to sell. One of the new anchor stores going in is TJ Maxx / Homegoods. Since I sell home accessories and I realize I cannot compete with TJ Maxx’s prices, I’ve decided to specialize in candles (makes sense with the name of the shop Candlelight and Roses). Most of our customers come in to buy candles anyway; it’s a no-brainer. Our best selling candle is Salt City, so I’m expanding on that line. I’ve said bye-bye to Yankee Candle and have added Northern Lights. I’m thinking of bringing in Wood-Wick and maybe a soy candle.
    I am more optimistic; I’m seeing more people coming in and spending money. We are supposedly at the low point in the recession and will be soon heading into recovery.
    So, the reason for me email; did you experience anything like this in your shop? What can you advise me with product lines (especially with TJ Maxx /HomeGoods as a competitor)? I’m also thinking of selling furniture that I’ve bought and painted. Did you do well with that? And, I already know I must get our website updated! That’s been on the back burner for a while. I really value your input. Are you planning to open your own shop in the near future? Have a nice Easter.
    Cyndi

3. Kristina Lynch said,

April 14, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Love the PeepWees Playhouse!!!! My favorite “)
    Cyndi…definately do the painted furninture!!! Does so well…even now a days antique stores are doing well with the painted items here in AgouraHills, CA…Good Luck to you and I will check out your web site too “)

4. Michelle said,

April 15, 2009 at 9:14 am

Hello Miss Carrie!

It is always so good to hear from you!!!!
    Have you settled in to North Caroline yet??
    Do you miss California at all??
    California customers are still my best buyers. :-)
    Thank you for sharing these pics from the Peeps contest. I had heard about it through blog land, but had not seen it yet. Too CUTE!!!

Hugs!

Michelle

p.s. I see from the comment above that the economy is affecting others as well. YUCK!

5. jocelan thiessen said,

April 27, 2009 at 10:50 am

those peeps are amazing! the chinatown one blows my mind!! thanks for posting about this!

6. Art Tea Life said,

April 27, 2009 at 5:40 pm

oh this Peep Show …. incredible ! you always find the BEST STUFF

I love peeps

I do

I do !

gross– right ?, but I do.

especially once they get STALE.

yep. I am your friend.

can’t shake me.

7. deborah said,

May 6, 2009 at 7:13 am

oh man, this reminds me of the time when i attended a luncheon (partly in my honor) with a group of very cultured and sophisticated women and how the afternoon devolved into mayhem (after a few glasses of wine) and I was forced to witness a demonstration of what happens to peeps in a microwave… it wasn’t pretty.