10.03.07

Vocabulary Lesson…

Posted in business-a-go-go, Events!, Fun Stuff, Main at 12:43 am by carrie

Being an artist and prior mathematics aficionado, I find myself stumped when it comes to vocabulary and *new* words. Nathan and I often say that together, we would have a perfect SAT score. Sadly, I didn’t fare so well in the verbal section. I tend to enjoy visuals much better than words. Those pesky words get in the way of everything!

I finally got the postcard to the printer… I thought I was being clever in my selection of wording but… ummm… I’m doubting that now:

front – click to view larger

back – click to view larger

It says:

You are invited to join us for
Violets are “Boo’s” 5th Annual
Spooooky Tea Party & Sale
Saturday, October 20th
11:00 am – 8:00 pm
The sale lasts all day long, but we’ll drag out the
spirited festivities & comestibles after 4:00 pm
For more info, visual diversions & freebies:
www.violetsareblue.net
be sure to check out our blog, too!

Okay, okay… I was going for the Haunted Mansion host’s monologue thing at Disneyland (“Kindly DRAG your bodies to the DEAD center of the room… ” etc)… hopefully for those who do not enjoy the Halloween Holiday, I have not sent them away forever :) I’m more normal than creepy, I swear!

And for the elements of the postcard… The front picture is awesome… we set up the Nicol Sayre pieces then used fake candles (the real ones were TOO bright) and filled in the bottom light using flashlights. We put the camera on a tripod and left the shutter open for about 20 seconds. Here’s the original and a couple of variations…

And I made the ribbon in the top corner. Technically, it’s called a rosette :) I want to make bunches of these and stick them all over the store!

And for the back of the postcard…Penny Mcallister’s pumpkin bride and groom… fabulous… we had a lot of fun taking these pictures… just playing with the lights and shutter speeds change the mood dramatically… inspiration for animating! And, at the bottom, the nod to Thanksgiving… hard to tell, but all of the harvest items are resting on a Sommer Designs apron :) *btw… congrats are in order, Carrie! I just read! Yay!! :)*

So… phew! it’s done! Now to tackle the 58 boxes of Christmas that came today! Yikes!! Christmas will be up 100% by the end of the first week of November. Can you believe it??? How is it October already??? I have other inspiration to share later… including pictures from Susan’s house. Her home is a treasure trove of finds… and they are getting ready for Halloween. Her son Sam has a mummy theme in mind… I’m going to draw hieroglyphics on their walls outside! Too fun! If you think you go “all out” for Halloween, you haven’t met Sue ;)

Lastly, we now offer Colonial Candles & Potpourri! I think I have over 22 scents including pumpkin pie, 2 other fall scents and 5 holiday scents. They are wonderful candles… if you need anything, please call! We’ll ship almost anywhere, too :)

Enjoy the transition into fall! If you are a fan of Starbucks and have a craving for something sweet, try the pumpkin empanada… it’s divine!!! :)

p.s…. giveaway VERY soon! :)

1. Tyn said,

October 3, 2007 at 7:42 am

OMG Love the postcard. That looks so great!!!

2. Babs said,

October 3, 2007 at 10:44 am

Wow – it’s SPOOKTACULAR!! You’ve outdone yourself and I can’t wait to see it in person! xxoo

3. Graycee said,

October 3, 2007 at 2:48 pm

Great postcard! Love it!!!

4. art tea life said,

October 4, 2007 at 4:43 pm

ohh I L O V E Pumpkin Empanadas !
    And not that I obsess but I won’t rest until I get one now.

Thanks.

Hey ! The Postcard came out GROOVY !
    And the wording just FINE!

I – did – not – know – that – word …. !
    Thank goodness there t’was a link.

So Everything Looks FanTAZ-FAbulous
    (no link for the meaning of that, but you Get It)

I am COMING OVER FOR THAT TEA PARTY ! and Sale !

So many gooooodies (said like mwah-ha-ha-haaaa)
    I dont know what to choose first.

Oh YES I DO !
    A Pumpkin Candle Please.

I think your next post should be
    PUMPKIN CANDLES
    Get ’em RIGHT HERE
    WIth a link !

And the biggest juciest pumpkin candle picture you have.

Just Thinkin !!
    Everyone seems to have a Pumpkin Crave right now.

oh pumpkin empanadas, pumpkin empanadas….

Even tho I live ten minutes away – I would probably push the BUY IT NOW button and order myself one.

So you did not go w/ the pictures you were drawing ! They were all so good.

But I love the way the photos turned out – and THank You for the tip on how you did that. I had a “devil” of a time last year trying to get a photo of my lit pumpkin.

And AH ! The Rosette – A Perfect Violet’s Are BOO Touch to the Whole EVENT !

Can’t wait – I know ! Then WHY is my butt not over there yet ??? no car until Sunday this week …. But I will have it on TUESDAY. So….maybe then?

Don’t sell all the Pumpkin Candles yet – pleeeze.
    Love, S.

Yeh BABS !- SpoooktacUlar ! I agree.

5. Heidi said,

October 5, 2007 at 9:57 pm

the postcard is great…you had to go from halloween to christmas so quickly! fun*fun*fun

6. Colleen said,

October 6, 2007 at 3:14 pm

It looks freakin’ awesome!! Great Halloween goodies and a lovely display of them too. Wish I could come! :)

7. Tina Wilson said,

October 9, 2007 at 9:34 pm

looks like a wonderful Fall variety. hope you have a good week.

8. deborah said,

October 10, 2007 at 7:22 am

Hey no fair, artist are not suppose to know math too. I guess it actually makes sense, having to figure out the math with perspective and geometry and space and alladat.

I guess the party isn’t for tea squares (bad math joke)…

9. art tea life said,

October 10, 2007 at 2:48 pm

I did not get by on Tuesday ! Wahhh. So sorry, recovering from Migraine Monday (literally – had a migraine) so the last thing I had energy for was out and about ———- shooting for Thursday now ! L/S

10. Felicia said,

October 11, 2007 at 8:23 am

The postcard is totally groovy. Hope your event is well attended!

11. Stephanie said,

October 26, 2008 at 4:20 pm

AHH! I love love love your shoppe! It’s my dream boutique! I wish I lived near it, though my husband is probably glad I don’t. Magical and fantastic!