01.05.07

So long, old friend…

Posted in Main, Mind Wanderings, sidenotes at 2:49 am by carrie

Okay… those of you who have read my blog once or twice know that I’m a little nuts… if you weren’t sure, then this will totally make it gel for you :)

I find myself getting attached to inanimate objects, constantly. It took me forever to get rid of all my stuffed animals (thank you velveteen rabbit for informing me about the trauma in the playroom when a new toy would appear). I am convinced that anything that has brought me joy should not be tossed out, ever, otherwise I’m being ungrateful (there must be a 12-step program for this). And the most recent cause for the demise of my sanity… 800 lbs of wood and aluminum… and I would pull her behind my little Volvo. Gidget. Our little travel trailer.

We only had her for about 6 years but we worked hard to get her in tow-ready condition. After weeks at a trailer repair garage and many hours of painting and cleaning later, we brought her home to mixed reviews. We had so many problems storing her and it seemed that very few people saw her as “kitschy”… mostly they saw her as an “eye sore” or, as the letter from the city wrote, the trailer was “bringing down the property value” of the neighboring homes. Ugh. We found a storage facility for about a year but the locals were using the poor thing for target practice or their personal playhouse.

So…many nasty letters, bullet holes, a few break-ins (resulting in glass breakage in the window and water damage) and at least one threat of a $500 fine later, I chose to sell her. That was about 6 months ago… I started to draft this blog the day I sold her, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Even now I’m trying not to tear up (pathetic, ain’t it?).

Gidget was all of 12 feet long. She had a little double bed in the “back” and the breakfast nook turned into a little twin bed. We re-tiled the sink and stove area with vintage pink tiles. The burners worked great and the icebox kept things cold for days. Across from the sink was a little closet, I guess there is another model available where that closet is a bathroom… how, I’ll never know, it was super tiny! As far as we could find out, this was a 1963 Tepee Travel Trailer. I couldn’t find any other information on it.

So, the day before I listed her on Craigslist, we took a few pictures… in all the years we went camping and used her to tow goods to a craft show, I never took pictures… very strange…

So… the family that bought Gidget fixes up trailers and re-sells them. They told me they would keep the pink theme. That makes me happy :)

I made myself a promise… when I have the funds and the land… I will get another little trailer and use it as a little office or guest house and park it far away from the judging eyes of the neighbors… or live in a neighborhood where everyone can understand the true value of “kitsch” :)

1. Carrie Sommer said,

January 5, 2007 at 8:00 am

Oh my, do you know how much I want one of these? Even my husband agrees! They are so kitschy cool, and everytime we see one on the road (which isn’t often!), we’re both drooling! It looks like you took such great care of her! So sweet.

Incidently, there’s a group of women fly fisher…um, women, who travel around with a bunch of these, all redone in a Western theme. I can’t remember what they call themselves, but they have been featured in Country Living or Country Homes, and they ROCK!

2. amanda bel said,

January 5, 2007 at 8:56 am

Nooo!!! You didn’t sell it! I want to cry, I love it so much! But….I totally understand the logistics. I hate getting rid of things I love, but being a terrible pack-rat, I just can’t hold onto EVERYTHING. Sigh…

3. Lilli said,

January 5, 2007 at 8:58 am

I’m sad too. She’s so cute. I can see why you were attached to her. I bet you wish you could get rid of the neighbours instead :)

4. Tracey said,

January 5, 2007 at 10:54 am

Did you sell it?
    It is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. art tea life said,

January 5, 2007 at 12:53 pm

oh PHOOEY

I would have bought this
    I dare the neighbors to sell me out over it !

and I live right near you
    You would have had visitation rights !

oh my gosh….I am in mourning for Dear Gidget…..
    wahhhhhhhhhhhh.
    BIG WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    EVEN LOUDER WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

6. Cindy said,

January 5, 2007 at 4:19 pm

An “eye-sore” ? You have to be kidding me, that is the cutest thing ever! It’s like a grown up girl’s playhouse! I love it. I’m sure they resold it to someone who is really enjoying it.

7. Daisy Cottage said,

January 8, 2007 at 4:58 am

Oh, I can so relate to this post and I think Gidget is absolutely adorable and I would have just loved her too! I’m happy that she has been adopted by good new “parents” and yes, you MUST have another one day ~ ((hugs))
    Kim

8. Jennifer Perkins said,

January 8, 2007 at 11:48 am

Oh my lord I am in love with that trailer! My husband and I honeymooned at trailer park called the Shady Dell!

Anywhoo I stopped by to tell you that your friend Cathi Milligan is going to be on Craft Lab this coming Monday Jan 15th. 9am Central on HGTV.

I need to write her next and let her know, but remebered you commented when I blogged about filming her episode.

Geez I’m going to be thinking about that dreamy trailer for days now.

9. Diane Duda said,

January 9, 2007 at 6:53 am

I understand. I’m feel an attachment just from looking at the photos. :(

10. Linda Thompson said,

January 9, 2007 at 3:24 pm

I LOVE your little pink palace!
    I soooo want one!
    She is darling… must have been awful to part with her!

11. Becca said,

January 18, 2007 at 11:42 am

I cannot believe that anyone would call this an “eyesore”. It is absolutely adorable! Ours currently has green stripes on the exterior (ala avocado seventies — now THAT is an eyesore! :)

12. tyn said,

January 18, 2007 at 6:21 pm

You did not sell that super cute trailer did you? It was the guest house.

13. sue green said,

January 21, 2007 at 3:03 am

I think Gidget is adorable

14. susan said,

January 22, 2007 at 8:16 pm

I’m stunned. Your neighbours are weird. That is a very cute caravan, inside and out. I loved your tea setting. Thank you for showing us the photos. I hope you get another lovely caravan one day. There are more of us that don’t think Gidget and her kind are eyesores.
    Susan.

15. Melissa said,

January 23, 2007 at 11:31 am

that is ADORABLE! My daughter and I saw a TV show about a group of women angler fishers who each have one of these trailers, all done up very kitschy (more of a western theme though) and they all camp out in them on their fishes trips. We SO want one….

May I ask how much these usually cost or how much yours sold for? I’d love one as a studio or guest house… some day….

btw, thank you for yourcomment on my blog about my art zine. I just fixed up the website and you can purchase a copy there if you’d like:

16. freshvintage said,

January 26, 2007 at 5:06 am

Oh boy….she’s a beauty! I would love to have a cute trailer like that, but I know that my neighbors wouldn’t like it either!

17. Eddie said,

September 17, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Hi this trailer I beleave was biult by Mobile Scout the model is Tepee. I have a 1963 10 foot version.